Forward Progress’ employees have over 100 years of experience in intercollegiate athletics, including time spent as student-athletes, coaches, on-campus administrators, conference officers and NCAA national office staff. This includes experience operating and facilitating NCAA leadership conferences as well as student-athlete advisory committees (SAAC) at the national, conference and campus levels.
At Forward Progress, we believe in cultivating leaders through engaging and in-depth programming in the following ways:
(1) Leadership Retreats (1/2 to 3 days long)
(2) Full-Year Leadership Programs (3 to 5 in person visits per year)
Our comprehensive methods are measured through participant evaluations and analysis.
Contact us at or 303-681-2210 for more information regarding availability, packages, and pricing.
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) Trainings and Retreats
- Strategic Planning: Prioritize and achieve committee goals to create an effective SAAC.
- SAAC Brand Building: Align SAAC values to enhance and maximize your SAAC’s brand.
- Building Your Team: Effectively communicate and engage resources on your campus.
- SAAC Peer Leadership: Maximize leadership strengths to lead your peers.
- SAAC Power Hour Series: Forward Progress coaches your SAAC executive committee via video conference to create a strategic plan of action for your campus or conference. Four meetings are distributed throughout the academic year.
Student-athlete workshops provide in-person leadership training with a focus on how the student-athletes can be more effective leaders amongst their peers on campus. Student-athletes are exposed to leadership skill building with an emphasis on how to transition those skills to their campus and team.
Workshop content varies and can be customized to suit your specific needs. Examples include:
Student-Athlete Trainings and Retreats
- Adjusting to College: Introduction to new campus life including managing time demands.
- Leadership Styles: Develop and understand diverse leadership styles through DiSC and strength-based leadership.
- Values Clarification: Align with decision making and behavior to find success.
- Personal Brand Identity: Create your authentic personal brand identity.
- Communicate Your Brand: Learn how to talk about your strengths and student-athlete experience in a professional setting. (Emphasis on interview preparation included).
- Goal Setting: Control your time demands by prioritizing and achieving goals.
- Networking: Develop professional relationships, mentors, and champions.
Leadership Meeting Planning
In addition to stand-alone workshops, Forward Progress can plan entire meetings, aligning the agenda with your goals and strategic plan. Forward Progress can be available for the entire conference from the first ice-breaker, through the community engagement sessions, and until the final wrap-up session concludes. Examples include:
- Student-Athlete Leadership Retreat: Provide a full-day retreat filled with leadership training and engagement for your student-athletes. This is usually geared to student-athletes who are out-of-season.
- Team Leadership Retreat: Provide a full-day retreat filled with leadership training and engagement for student-athletes on a specific team. Preparation for this retreat includes discussions with administrative staff and team coaching staff to determine specific outcomes.
Administrator workshops provide professional growth opportunities for all staff working in athletics administration.
Workshop content can be customized to suit your specific needs. Sample trainings include:
Coach / Administrator Trainings
- APR Advantage: Increase APR and become indispensable to your department. The session focuses on tailored approaches to improve both eligibility and retention.
- Communication Strategies: Learn more about your personal leadership style and how to better communicate with your peers and student-athletes through DiSC and strength-based leadership.
- Motivating Millennials and Gen Z: Learn strategies for communication and motivating student-athletes to achieve maximum potential.
- Maximizing Professional Development: Reach your professional objectives with strategies that maximize the value of professional development opportunities, including conferences and seminars.
- Managing Stress: Coach student-athletes through performance anxiety and other stresses.
- Coaching Through Trauma: Learn how to coach student-athletes after an individual, team, or campus has experienced trauma.
- Values Clarification: Align your values with your actions to become more productive and successful.
Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Training
Forward Progress provides in-depth diversity and cultural training to administrators, coaches, teams or SAAC with IDI®. IDI® is the world’s premier assessment to facilitate personal growth, gain insight and collective change to improve personal or group intercultural competence. IDI® assesses intercultural competence, which is the capability to shift cultural perspective and appropriately adapt behavior to cultural differences and commonalities.
• Bridge cultural differences so relationships are strengthened and enhanced.
• Walk away with tangible knowledge on how your group navigates intercultural communication.
• Increase your group’s ability to navigate our increasingly diverse world.
• Use IDI® to facilitate personal growth, insight and change in ways that improve your groups intercultural competence.
• Develop strategies to enhance your group’s intercultural competence through guided facilitation using IDI®.
• Hundreds of companies and institutions have used IDI® such as AARP, Microsoft, Target, General Electric and Walt Disney.
Presented by: Jennifer Jacobs, Head Volleyball Coach, Augustana University (SD), Forward Progress Consultant and Nnenna Akotaobi, Associate Athletics Director/SWA, Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Swarthmore College.